Old November 27th 16, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Sale today on 12 Volt flexible solar panel

Again So.... With no disrespect intended, PDA's have been obsolete since 2008, and they were not a glider instrument but a kludged fix until larger screens were economically available for purpose designed soaring instruments.. Your glider has a full panel for your needs, but is far from full by modern standards, does not have transponder, does not have AHRS for those day when the foehn gap closes, and only has one e-vario, no instantaneous wind, no strobe built into fin for anti-collision... . The glider, new in 2016, I mentioned that is well equipped was ordered with solar panels and LiFePo4 batteries and it needs the solar panels to help top up the batteries for those 8-10 hour xc flights out west. Argo, LiFePo4 batteries have not made solar panels on gliders obsolete, the original comment we have been debating.

Apollo 11 made it to the moon with less computing power than we carry in our smart phones too, but more modern craft has orders of magnitude more computing power.

The march of time remains ever constant, clocks that bind will be left to rust.

Still thinking about your idea for fresh espresso in the cockpit.

Jon

On Sunday, November 27, 2016 at 1:23:09 AM UTC-8, krasw wrote:

My point was that I have what I would call pretty full panel, and could have electricity for two or three similar panels running all at the same time, with some reserves.

But I understand the case for panels when you have ancient electrical system (building second avionics bus would be few hours job), would need to carry lead in nose or want to charge on the ground. In pretty much any other case I still maintain that panels are thing of the past. Not to mention that they pretty much ruin the esthetics of beautiful glider, but of course YMMV.