Old March 8th 04, 05:16 AM
Andre

Stu Gotts wrote in message . ..
On 7 Mar 2004 01:01:09 -0800, (Andre) wrote:

Ok, let's say my TSO'd Attitude Indicator (AI) in my Cherokee goes
belly-up, and my friend just happens to have one he removed from his
machine a month ago as part of a complete panel upgrade. We both KNOW
the thing works fine and would solve my problem.

What's the ramifications of just having it installed in my Cherokee?
Is it OK without a yellow-tag? If not, why not? Isn't there any
discretion on the the part of the mechanic to install a part he has
observed as functional in one airplane and put it directly in another?

I hear if you ask an instrument shop to check it out and yellow-tag
it, they will often refuse unless you pay them to do a COMPLETE
OVERHAUL. Is that true?

If the part is a certified one (doesn't have to be TSO'd) and is
listed as a direct replacement, all that is necessary is a proper log
book entry.

An instrument shop can inspect and return the part to service "yellow
tagged". They would probably insist of tweaking it which will cost
you the same as having it o/h'd. If it works, put it in. When it
dies, replace it.

Stu,

Thanks to you and the others for your post. What I need to find out
is what to tell the mechanic when I hand it to him (with no
yellow-tag).

It sounds like all I have to say is that the gyro is listed as a
direct replacement (I assume a Sigma-Tek 5000B-36 IS a direct
replacement), that it is in working condition, so JUST INSTALL it and
make a logbook entry.................please...

Does that sound correct?

By the way, where WOULD I find a list of approved replacement attitude
indicators for an Arrow II?

Andre