Old July 16th 04, 03:14 AM
Peter Kemp

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 00:42:52 +0100, (phil hunt)
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:44:31 +0100, Paul J. Adam wrote:
In any case, the F-35 isn't going into production until the 2010s
and I doubt if it'll be operational with the RN in much less than 10
years. And until then it's pretty much unthinkable that the surface
fleet would go anywhere against any country with any significant air
capability -- even tuppeny-ha'penny ********s like Sudan would
represent significant dangers to an RN without air cover.

Sudan? Air force strike force consisting of around 10 MiG 21 knock
offs and 3 (count em) MiG 23?

I think even without Harrier GR.9/A armed with Sidewinders the
T22/23/42 should be able to handle them.

Should we keep the SHARs - IMO hell yes, at least until we've at least
3 T45 in the fleet, but like it or not, we can't afford it.

Peter Kemp