Old June 16th 04, 02:56 AM
Thorbjörn Schönbeck

AL Mills wrote:

Just go to www.x-plane.com and download the latest version (7.41). It is
a full version, however, you can only fly in San Bernardino and after 6
minutes your stick won't work anymore.

Well, under the above limitations, I didn't like
it at all. I never could get it working under
Linux, what with all the extra crap you have to
have installed in the right (undocumented)
folders, and while it worked in XP, I never got
used enough to the keyboard commands before the
6 minute limit was up.

Al, nevermind...

As far as I know, only the stick is disabled after 6 minutes, after then
you can continue your flight using the autopilot. Maybe this is not very
helpful to find out about the flight realism, because 6 minutes are far
too short for a takeoff and landing at different airports.

On the other hand, as mentioned elsewhere - MSFS offers you zero minutes
for testing :-) From my point of wiew, the demo is well suited to see if
and how fast X-Plane runs on a specific computer and not for extensive
testing...

Since I am using only my mac for flying, it is hard for me to compare
MSFS and X-Plane - and when it comes to scenery, FS2004 looks amazing to
me and is no competition for X-Plane. Anyway, cruising with a small
Cessna or Piper in X-Plane and heavy weather feels pretty realistic to
me and is a bunch of fun.

just my 2ct....

Cheers,

Thor

--
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. (R. Feynman)