Old June 23rd 18, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

Default Locating device mounting

On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 11:08:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Recent descriptions of the Nephi accident are driving me to rethink my decision about location of my Spot in the ship.
I have had it mounted on the canopy frame to try to get the best view of the sky for tracking. It kind of gets in the way a little when on the chute harness.
My assumption has been that in the event of a bad thing happening both the glider and I will be in close proximity.
I got it wrong.
My Spot will go back on the harness.
1- It stays with me.
2- Assuming I'm capable I can orient it and activate emergency even if I have bailed out.
FWIW
UH

Anything you expect to help folks find you needs to be attached to the front of your chute. Otherwise it is camping gear.

I have my SPOT3 on chest strap (works fine). SMAK PAK Survival Kit on right shoulder caries cellphone, whistle, mirror, strobe and space blanket.