Old January 26th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Intercepting the ILS

In article , Bob Gardner
wrote:

FWIW, I have been chewed out by Seattle Approach for intercepting higher
than the published GSIA of 2200 for the ILS 13R.

Nevermind the "Which airport" question if my cancel didn't work, I
found it; Boeing field, I assume.

I can't see why they would have chewed you out -- if the instruction
was something like "Maintain 2500 until established on the localizer,
cleared the ILS 13R," you did nothing improper. If he wanted you at
2200, he should have instructed you to do so; the chart only lists it
as a minimum altitude, as most do.

What if you weren't DME-equipped? How would you know you were within
10NM of NOLLA, and thus safe to descend to 2200? You really wouldn't,
unless you had done the procedure turn, or the controller had cleared
you with a "You're X miles from NOLLA" (and X happened to be less than
10 miles).

--
Garner R. Miller
ATP/CFII/MEI