Old December 27th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Default Altitude Call Out is COOL

Alan Gerber wrote:
Mike Spera wrote:

With the aerodynamics of a
2 by 4, I come in a wee bit higher than some expect (Cherokee 140 -
nuff' said). I finally see "red over white" on short final.

Is that because you're doing power-off landings? I fly a Warrior, which I
assume has simular aerodynamics, and have no problem holding the
glideslope. With power in, you'd be able to control the descent rate, no?

... Alan

No, No, No, my friend. The tapered wing is WAY different than a constant
chord wing. Power is at around 17500 rpm and it sinks like a rock. Go
for a ride in a 140 and you will be enlightened (or scared to death).

Yes, you can control the descent rate right at 500fpm. But, you do so at
a MUCH greater angle to the ground than your Warrior. First time I flew
a tapered wing I could not believe how flat you had to come in to avoid
floating right past the airport. If you tried that with the 140, your
CFI would immediately pull the power back and announce "Engine Out" and
laugh while you quickly figured out you would NEVER make the runway.

Try it out.
Mike