Old July 7th 08, 11:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
More_Flaps

Default Join us for our 6th Annual Fly-In Pool Party!

On Jul 7, 1:46*pm, Matt Whiting wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:
Maybe sometime in the future when I grow wings again, you might still
be doing the BBQ/Pool party, because I know I am missing something fun
and special with a great group of people.

Thanks, Dave. *It's truly disheartening to hear that you've dropped out
of flying altogether -- but I know you're not alone. * (Don't worry --
the Fly-In Pool Party will continue as long as we own the hotel!)

I can see why you've dropped out, though. My son and I just got back
from a three-day custom car show in Des Moines. *There were thousands of
people in attendance, and you could literally walk for days and never
see the same car twice.

More importantly (and to the point) for about 10% of what I've spent on
aviation over the years, we could own many of the coolest, most
tricked-out collectible cars at that show. *I will never become as
excited about cars as I am about airplanes, but it's easy to see why
"normal" people might choose to go that route.

A friend who learned to fly at the same time as me did the same thing a
decade or so ago. *After many years of C-172 ownership he sold it and
bought an older Vette convertible. *His wife likes the Vette better than
the airplane and spends far less money and can spend much more time with
the Vette.

I was up flying for 2.5 hours today to get in some approaches to keep my
instrument rating current and hardly heard another sole flying. *

A fishy story.

Cheers