Old October 28th 20, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Truck vs Car as a tow vehicle

wrote on 10/28/2020 6:44 AM:

I am wondering how often a truck for towing a glider trailer might be an advantage?

Uhh- How about EVERY TIME you are towing a glider trailer?

The OP did not provide a "mission profile", so we are just guessing at what's suitable for him.
For me, I much prefer my Sienna mini-van to go to the airport than any of the trucks I've
owned. It's only 4 miles, doesn't jar the trailer as much going over the railroad tracks, and
it's easier to get things out of the back of it (wing dolly, etc). For long trips, a pickup
with a camper on it works well, and the camper can be removed when I get to the glider event.
Nowadays, we prefer a 24' motorhome for the long trips. A person that prefers motels or tents
will make very different choices, but which may not based on the towing function. For example,
some pilots choose the tow vehicle preferred by their crew - my case :^)