Old October 29th 20, 11:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Soaring Club Financials

It all depends on the nature if your club. At Toronto Soaring we have had a fantastic season in part DUE to Covid! Out club does not have a lot of students so ****ting down dual training didn’t have a big impact. We mothballed one of our two 2-seaters to cut costs. However, the fact that people were unemployed, underemployed or “working” from hime meant that we were flying every good day we had all summer. We happen to have a contingent of airline pilots as members and they were always at the airfield, doing chores if not flying. The number of flights went up and club revenues have not suffered as far as I know. Not sustainable for the long run but this season was far from a write off.

Nearby York Soaring, which is a much larger club that traditionally has relied heavily on student training, would be in a completely different position financially. Their activity dropped significantly at a time where they had just made some significant infrastructure improvements that were financed.. I’m sure Covid has hit their books hard. So you can see that the financial effects of Covid depend a lot on the nature of your specific club.. Overall, however, I still think that weather has a greater impact!