Old December 27th 05, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Garmin 430 user waypoints

I would seem that the data exchange would have to follow an
ARINC protocol for data exchange. If Garmin was looking to
helpful, you could copy your waypoint database to a CD in
several formats, such as Comma separated values, XLS and
whatever else you can think of. Then send it to Garmin with
a request that they convert it to a format you can install
on your 530 and save as a back-up.

You might also contact Jepesen and ask if they would create
an package for you, with appropriate sales and liability
waivers.

--
Merry Christmas
Have a Safe and Happy New Year
"Red Baron" wrote in message
. ..
| Ask a local avionics technician, you need to download the
| user way-points to a database and then convert it to a
| format and medium that can be entered into the new
Garmin.

| Already asked: the only information an important Garmin
dealer here in
| Italy has, is that a 430/530 can be cross-conneted and the
waypoints can
| be saved when the other unit has to be serviced.
|
| Database conversion and/or a program on PC is my job: I
alreday did it
| for a couple of Garmin handhelds, with DOCUMENTED
protocol.

| The GNS530 database will be "protected" since it is a
| certified unit, but you should be able to create a
"virtual
| GNS530" using a laptop computer and then use the
cross-fill
| menu to import the way-points.
|
| See above: I need the SPECIFICATIONS for the protocol. On
the
| "Installation Manual" there are only few specifications,
but for packets
| FROM the 430 to other units. No reference at all for
packets to be sent
| to it :-(
|
| On page 107 of the GNS530 manual, it says that the
GNS530
| can use "other equipment" in the panel, such as a
joystick,
| to create a waypoint.
|
| Yes: that is the reason I am convinced it can be done.
|

| This would be documented and a
| qualified avionics shop would be able to duplicate the
| output and use your database as the input.
|
| As far as I can see, it isn't documented. May be Bendix,
Honeywell and