Old March 24th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dane Spearing

Default Asymmetrical thurst

In article ,
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe The Sea Hawk At Wow Way D0t C0m wrote:
.
"Jim Carter" wrote in message

You're right - I got my slips reversed. Side slip into the wind, forward
slip toward the runway. It's all relative to the line of travel.

The way to remember it is that the names are backwards - in a side slip you
look forward, and in a forward slip you look out to the side to see where
you are going.

It's all semantics. A slip is a slip is a slip. The airplane doesn't know
the difference between a side slip and a forward slip because they are
aerodynamically identical. The only difference between a forward slip and a
side slip is the reason that the pilot is doing the slip: one is for
losing altitude without gaining airspeed, and the other is for staying
lined up on a runway in a crosswind.

-- Dane