Old May 21st 19, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Tatlow[_2_]

Default Updating FLARM F4/F5 without SD card slot

At 11:37 21 May 2019, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
Hi, I have an older FLARM in my glider and found some issues last weekend
while flying. I'd like to update the firmware but I can't find any

detailed
guide to follow.
So far I have found this guide:
https://support.flarm.com/hc/en-us/a...5694-How-do-I-

update-the-Firmware-on-a-Classic-FLARM-without-an-SD-card-slot-
Only issue I have is how to connect it. I have a serial to USB cable but
the next requirement is "A cable connecting the RS-232 adapter with the
FLARM device"

Does that mean I need a console cable (rs-232 to rj45) as well?
If anyone has some more details on how to connect it, would be greatly
appreciated!

Look up installation manual from Flarm.com for F4/5, flarm without SD
card.

It gives pinouts from RJ 45 and also data pinout to 9 pin Dsub.

So if you use a ready made 8 way cable with a RJ 45 connector each end, cut

one end off open up the cable and separate the individual wires. Use a
meter to
confirm pinouts of power and data from image in manual, power is 12 v, make

sure you have correct polarity, and wire the three wires used for data to 9
pin
Dsub.
Download the flarm tool listed on flarm.com website for updating without SD

card and install on laptop, windows, not apple!
Connect your homemade cable to USB serial adapter and power the flarm.
Choose serial port, may not be the one first offered(1) may be 3.
You may have to go into control panel, device manager, ports and alter
baud
rate. If you get correct port and baud rate you will notice it says connect
flarm.