Old September 18th 04, 01:20 AM

In rec.aviation.owning Mike Rapoport wrote:

wrote in message

snip

There's lots of ground turbines under 400hp so we know there's a market
there; i.e. they must be practical and competive with pistons or they
wouldn't sell.

A lot of them are used to power natural gas compressors way out in the
middle of nowhere and reliability is much more important than fuel
efficiency and you have a large suitable fuel supply availible.

True.

So put it this way, if it were the turbine makers instead of the diesel
makers that jumped on this bandwagon, what would be their smallest
engine?

Given the high initial cost of turbines and the hgiher fuel comsumption, I
doubt that turbines would be competitive with gasoline engines given current
price differentials between the two fuels. The beauty of a diesel aircraft
engine is that it should cost the same as a gas engine, has fewer parts,
uses less fuel and lasts longer. The turbine engine is more reliable but
costs more and uses more fuel. The lower the hp the less competitive the
turbine gets against the diesel.

Your first sentence overlooks the fact that turbines are currently
competitive at the Caravan level, but I pretty much agree with the
rest.

OK, let's say I buy into about 400hp as the "up to now" crossover point.

Given the current fuel cost differential, where would you expect that point
to move to assuming the engines were available?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.