Old May 22nd 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default "Are you worried about all those non-green colors on the radar?"

On Sun, 21 May 2006 22:33:08 -0400, Roger wrote:

snip

It was one whale of a nice ride, a good work out, and three different
approaches right down to almost minimums. All this through what I had
expected to be a really rough ride due to those red and yellow
reflections which really are only showing precipitation.

Great post Roger,

While I agree with Peter on convective yellows and reds, if it's stratiform
clouds and no convective activity expected or conducive of convective
activity, I personally don't mind the yellows returns. I like you
experienced one of the smoothest rides in rainy weather in stratiform
clouds.

I have never KNOWINGLY flown through red precip returns, that's for sure,
but that's not to say I haven't gone through an embedded red return.

Talk about an impromptu shower, when the rain comes through the air vents
:-)

Allen