Old June 4th 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Another Long Cross Country: HPN to PAO in 6 Days (long)

In article ,
Journeyman wrote:

The Arrow is safe in its new parking space at Palo Alto (PAO)
after carrying us here from White Plains (HPN).

Great write up!

Welcome to the Bay Area! I fly out of PAO if you have any questions
about local procedures. One thing I'll toss out there is that PAO
gets really busy on the weekends, and 'owns' most of Moffett's
airspace. Being number eight or nine in the pattern isn't unusual,
and you'll often turn base over Moffett (~4nm final). You can
always pick out the non-local pilots by the call to tower of 'umm,
Tower, Bugsmasher 123 is getting really close to some big runways'
and tower responding with a 'extensions into Moffett are approved'.

One more thing, when flying up the peninsula, 'remain south and
west of the bayshore' refers to the Bayshore Freeway (US-101), not
the actual shoreline. No one but ATC calls it the Bayshore Freeway,
it is just '101' to everyone else.

Ok, one more. http://www.dr-amy.com/rich/flying/kpao.html has a
ton of local knowledge/landmarks for PAO. Like most airports, it
has its share of 'weird' local reporting points. The strangest
one is the 'old yacht harbor'. The last time there were boats
there was in the early 1970s, or so I've heard from oldtimers.

I've got a ton of aerial photos of the Bay Area on my website (in .sig).

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/