Old April 19th 05, 04:15 PM
aluckyguess

"Highflyer" wrote in message

"aluckyguess" wrote in message
snip
The only thing I don't know is what the insurance would cost.
I know if Lycoming had a quote come in for 12000 IO 360 engines the price
would drop quite a bit.
You can buy a brand new LS6 corvette engine for 5000.00 that tells me
they are building it for around 1500.

Actually if Lycoming had an order for 12000 IO360 engines from one
customer the price would probably go up and the quality would go down.
Lycoming sold all of their machinery and has all of their parts made
outside by subcontractors. Each subcontractor has a significant "learning
curve" coming up to speed. ( See the court case that Lycoming lost
recently about crankshaft specifications and manufacturing procedures )
They would be unable to get enough parts at any price to assemble them in
a reasonable time. ( NOTE: this is an opinion based on my knowledge of
the aircraft engine business. )

They would find someone. Their are plenty of other crank manufactures.
Highflyer
Highflight Aviation Services
Pinckneyville Airport ( PJY )