Old April 25th 05, 08:06 PM
jsmith

And you didn't notice the odd shape, compared to the surrounding
terrain, when you were flying around inside it?

Dave Butler wrote:
Kyle Boatright wrote:

As an aside, the geography near Middlesboro is unusual. One of the
few towns and/or airports you'll find that is completely encircled by
mountains. That's what happens at the center of an ancient meteor
impact crater...

Interesting. Didn't know it was an impact crater. Wish I had known that
when I was there. I flew in a few years ago when Glacier Girl was under
construction in a Cherokee 180 at full GW. Did a circling departure over
the field to gain enough altitude to feel comfortable heading for the
notch in the surrounding mountains.

Dave