Old July 12th 16, 09:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul B[_2_]

Default Dick Johnson methodology for measuring glider performance

Thanks Bert

That is all well and good if you are in Europe, have connection to Akaflieg and want to spend a lot of money. I guess it may make sense to review a glider, but it simply is not practical elsewhere. So I guess if you wish to obtain a reasonable measurements you may as well use the best method available that fits the conditions where one flies. I have not yet verified your assertion regarding the error with your stated parameters regarding the vertical movement of the airmass one is flying through. Nor am I a good enough meteorologist to know how likely is it that the whole airmass would be uniformly moving up a down over a distance required to loose 1000ft over flat lands without wind that may cause sheerwave.

Finally, I would think that enough people with requisite knowledge looked at Dick J work, yet there is not a great deal of criticisms floating about. But as you say, Concordia may not be a suitable candidate.

Cheers

Paul