Old October 5th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

Default Primary Glider Drawings

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message
Veeduber

What would it take to convert a primary into a basic soaring machine
(35+ to 1)?. I know sitting in open would be a high drag problem
but.......maybe a very light none structual wood frame cloth covered
to stream line fuselage?

Could a machine be made very cheap and quick this way to permit
soaring local around the air patch?

Also designed to pull (or fold) the wings in a few minutes (Solo) and
load to haul home for storage (and work/repair) in the garage?

Big John,

35 to 1 and open cockpit don't coexist. Light weigh does not improve
glider ratio. In order to get anything near 35 to 1 in a homebuilt you
must build something like my Schreder HP-14.
(http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-14/N990/N990.html)

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Another option is to take a look at the SLA gliders like the Sparrowhawk.
These have an airframe weight of less than 200 pounds. In some cases the
glider weighs less than the pilot! In spite of their light and relatively
simple construction, they exhibit impressive performance in excess of 30:1.
See: http://www.windward-performance.com/

I doubt that they will ever exceed the 40:1 common among the larger 15 meter
gliders but they're a far better solution than a 'primary glider'.