Old March 26th 06, 08:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default TR182 cost of ownership - maintenance, etc.

"john szpara" wrote in message
Does that budget include fuel and oil?

Yes.

Well, there's one area the 210 would cost more, being a thirstier airplane.
Other than that...

[...]
I thought I could, but was told that T210s can really bite you with
unexpected, expensive maintenance.

I realize that I don't know the subtle differences between the 182 and the
210. But it's not clear to me how they would be dramatically different,
given that they are equipped with fundamentally the same kinds of things.

Having owned just the one plane, I can't speak from personal experience, but
I have had several people tell me that broadly speaking, the cost of
maintenance is directly related to the various features of the airplane.
Different airplanes have different quirks of course, and some may have
particular maintenance issues not found elsewhere. But the difference
between a retractable gear and fixed gear, or between normally-aspirated and
turbocharged, or between one engine or two, is much more significant when it
comes to maintenance costs.

Basically, the T182RG can really bite you with unexpected, expensive
maintenance as well. Unless the 210 has something extremely unusual (like
the wing spar issue with the larger Cessna twins), I would have thought
maintenance costs would be similar to the 182.

Did the person (or people) who told you that give you specific examples of
what a 210 might need with respect to maintenance that wouldn't be an issue
on a 182? Now you've got me curious.

Pete