Old December 29th 05, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default US ELT Installation

To be completely legal, you very well may need to use a particular brand
of battery. Those will be specified in the manual. The ones most often
specified that I have seen are the Duracell -- because they have a
printed expiration date on each cell and are rather ubiquitous.
Therefore, the batteries must be "in date" and of the approved brand to
be legal.

Larry

"309" wrote in message
oups.com:

Jim's web site on his ELT installation is very informative, and he
brings up a good point about testing the function of your ELT, whether
it's required by "FAR" or not. Here's another good reason TO test.

Several years back, I installed an AmeriKing ELT in my 1-26. When my
A&P/IA and I went to test it, nothing happened. We found that the
battery label on the bottom case was mislabeled, so the batteries did
not form a continuous chain, ergo, no electricity was supplied to the
unit, not it banged or switched on. When we turnd the base around, it
worked fine. So we "corrected" the label on the case and it's checked
out fine every year when we exercise it, need to or not. And I DO hope
that those are the ONLY times that my ELT sees use.

And this should serve as a word to those wise enough to install the
AmeriKing units (or those from ANY manufacturer). Since batteries are
cheap, I try to replace them at each annual, including the remote
switch battery (a pesky 2/3 A cell, though available at Radio Shack).
The six D cells get used in any number of flashlights or toys over the
year, they've still got most of their charge from sitting in the glider
unused.

Fly safe,

-Pete

jphoenix wrote:
Eric,

I installed mine this past weekend, the antenna is located forward and
under the instrument panel glareshield, attached to the rudder pedal
bracket and installed within 20° of vertical as required by the
manual.

AmeriKing, $206 including shipping from Paul Remde.

See details he www.jimphoenix.com