Old March 6th 04, 06:12 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Steven James Forsberg" wrote in message

: Bob Kerrey would certainly qualify, but he didn't make it
: too far in his presidential bid. Bob Dole was in serious
: combat, but I don't know if his shooting experience was
: aimed or "to whom it may concern".

Well, according to SLA Marshall there is a real question as to
how much shooting in WWII was actually "aimed" at all. ;-)

Double check that source. A few years ago the validity, if not the
integrity, of Marshall's "research" was called into serious question. His
work had been accepted as gospel for decades, but his methodology and
conclusions have since been the subject of reinvestigation. Some have even
gone so far as to claim he pulled his supporting "statistics" out of thin
air. See:

http://carlisle-www.army.mil/usawc/P...n/chambers.pdf

http://www.ku.edu/carrie/archives/mi.../msg00065.html

More seriously, Dole was a 2lt on the front lines with the
10th Mountain Division (presumably infantry branch) when he was wounded
trying to pull his wounded radioman to safety. IIRC from a speech he
gave, he almost died three times (on the battlefield, and two different
times after surgeries stateside). Got a Bronze Star and 2 Purple Hearts
for his efforts.
ISTR he once quipped about how he got assigned to the 10th Mountain
Division -- "I'm from Kansas, and this was the army..."

IIRC Dole spent a year or more under military hospital care while recovering
from his wounds.

Brooks

regards,