Old September 6th 17, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 2017 Dust Devil Dash - Mountain Valley Airport (L94) California

On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 5:29:53 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 3:51:22 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Rob,

Since the DDD relies mainly on the "honor system" for determining the distance flown, is it possible to allow self-launching sailplanes and TMGs to participate without engine recorders? Just curious...

Chris

Why would someone own a SLSP, TMG, or even a sustainer without having an appropriate logger?

DDD Distance scored is from the flight log.
Have suggested taping the engine compartment of a SLSP or sustainer closed before takeoff and the pilot make the flight as a pure glider. Most TMGs are more difficult, but Rob owns a Ximango so knows about those things.
I "disabled" an engine compartment once while running the grid at a contest in Australia. One pilot was going to withdraw from the day as his main logger died and the backup logger had no ENL detection. The pilot won the day flying his N3DM as a pure glider.
Jim

Last time I flew the DDD was around 2002 or 3. Back then you had a landing card to be filled out by any "witness" and mailed back from the Post Office nearest the landing point. There was no verification of release alttitue other than what the tow pilots might have recorded...

As to your question; I don't have a logger because I completed my badges decades ago and don't compete in my 25/1 TMG.

Chris