Old December 14th 19, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default 15 Hour Wonders

On Saturday, December 14, 2019 at 12:25:35 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Learning to fly an R22 from a kid that looks like he was 14 years would get you grey hairs real quick! And then to see his hand cocked from that stick as you thought you were going to DIE at the first hover was a learning experience I'll cherish the rest of my life! I made it!

I took one intro flight in an R22, read the documents informing you of the SFAR and the special training requiements and opted for the Guimbal Cabri G2. Got my rating in the Guimbal which has a few quirks of its own. True, the oldest instructor was a middle 20 something and there were instructors there who had never done a sign off for student solo or practical test but that is largely the nature of flight instuction these days. Now going to do some advanced training with a nice young guy, under 300 hours total but he appears to me to have the requisite flying skills and verbal capacity. Again, it's not all about hours but SKILL, ABILITY especially in the communications phase and the proper personality. Just because you are a world aerobatic champion with far more skill than the average CFIG candidate doesn't mean you can properly train a glider pilot. I'm actually impressed with the youngster with whom I am not doing the whirlybird thing.

Walt Connelly
Former Tow Pilot
Now Happy Helicopter pilot.

Walt you should really try to find more experienced instructor. I believe a helicopter pilot with under 500 hours is still very much a student. If you are near Southern Cal get sometime with Chin Tu at Civic in Carlsbad.