Old December 8th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Candice

Default A viable technique : Plywood bonding to Aluminum fuselage structure ??

Hi guys,
Thanks for all the comments. I should of explained the plywood
angle first off. I'm just trying to engineer a viable option of
building a full scale Siemens Schukert D4 which had a plywood fuselage.
The plywood in this case would just be for skinning and not for
strength, although I would think it would act as a stiffener on the
overall fuselage.

I'm doing this as an exercise because I was always interested in a
Albatros DII aircraft, again with the varnished plywood fuslage
skinning. The basic start with an aluminum tube structure is due to my
currently building a full scale Nieuport 17 by Airdrome Airplanes. I'm
very impressed with the overall strength of my N17 fuselage so it
seemed to be a good starting point for this evaluation.
I have a Rotec R2800 engine for that project. So..with the radial
engine that also makes a Siemens Schukert aircraft more attractive to
build since I already have an engine I can install from the Nieuport
should I go ahead.
I've heard that the Rheinbeck SIemens Schukert DIII had some
stability problems and wasn't flown much, although I'm not sure if they
even flew it at all. I've been building a model of the N17 in a
program designed to determine longitudinal stability of various
aircraft configurations. I will do a Siemens study in the near future,
but the plywood query was an exploratory question on my part since I
haven't worked on a wooden aircraft yet.

Thanks for all the help folks.

Candice Anne