Old June 22nd 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Kompress hard landing

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:
On 18 Jun 2006 17:57:55 -0700, "Flyingmonk"
wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AS3b...rch=helicopter

Looks like a two seater (tandem) CH-7 Kompress. Anyone with details on
this flight?

Monk

I don't think I'd classify that as a landing in any way, shape or
form. That was a crash.

I have to admit I almost ended up like that. The autorotation minimum
ROD in the OH-58 is 43 knots however the standards call for 60 knots
prior to 100" AGL. By myself one day at Ft Eustis I thought I'd perform
a minimum ROD auto to the runway. I got too busy watching the rotor and
my intended landing spot I forgot to get back to 60 knots before 100'. I
found there was very little decel available and it was just one quick
pull to reduce the ROD. I was very lucky that time. But the picture in
my head at the time was just like that video.

--

boB
Wing 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)