Old October 24th 05, 07:28 PM
Bill

Default Visible wingtip vortex!

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:06:38 -0500, "Jim Burns"
wrote:

Ahhh... nope. Haven't ever seen that. Sounds like a ghost though. Spooky.

Visually identifiable compressed air held together by centrifugal force
traveling through relatively less compressed air?

Jim

It WAS spooky. I don't understand how heatwaves are visible, nor do I
understand how this was visible. There were four of us in that plane,
completely dumbfounded each time we say it. It was so strange, we
were squealing like schoolgirls when we saw it the second time.

What causes distortions from heatwaves? Is it the differing density
of the air? If so, that might start to explain it.

Bill Strahan