Old August 3rd 09, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

Default OT-San Antonio Lodging

On Jul 27, 6:03*am, "Terry" wrote:
As a member of this newsgroup for many years, I thought this would be a
good place to get advice from my fellow pilots.

My son is leaving for Afghanistan on the 21st of Aug from Camp Bullis. I
am looking for a place to stay from Aug 20th - 22nd. Would like it to be
near the "River Walk" area so we can see some of the sights. (Rest snipped)

I grew up in San Antonio and wish I could help with your lodging
question, but can't. However, I always recommend my two absolutely
favorite mexican restaurants to anyone I know who is going to my
former hometown. If you want truly great Mexican food you must venture
away from the River Walk a bit, the restaurants there are good, but
not great.

Trust me when I say you will not regret the 15-20 minute drive to La
Palmita from the downtown area. It is a simple drive, though La
Palmita is kinda out-of-the-way, especially for tourists. The
incredible North Star Mall is not far from La Palmita if you like
very, very cool malls. By the same token Rivercenter Mall downtown is
also neat.
If you do go to La Palmita order either the 2+2 or the 3+3, which is a
combo of the most incredible red tortilla cheese enchiladas and
handmade soft tacos you will ever experience. The River Walk does have
some good mexican food, but not great, because most are large-scale
tourist attractions that must churn out hundreds of plates per hour.
Mi Tierra will likely be a disappointment if you want really wonderful
Mexican cooking. It is the most popular restaurant on the River Walk,
but far from the best.

La Fonda is closer to downtown, also incredible, and is authentic,
mouth-watering mexican cooking at it's almost-best. The original
location on North Main is widely known to be better than the other
locations. I say "almost" because, IMO La Palmita is, hands-down, the
greatest Mexican food in San Antonio.

Here are two links, one to La Palmita, one to La Fonda. Enjoy my
boyhood city!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um...21636369907245

http://www.lafondaonmain.com/

Ricky