Old September 9th 16, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Seeking input on Glasflugel/Slingsby Kestrel

On Sunday, May 2, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Bill Jackson wrote:
I am thinking about purchasing one of these ships if I can, the Sligsby
T59D 19m model. I have no familiarity with them and would like to hear
from pilots/owners in two main areas:

1) suitability of this ship for a relatively low time pilot, handling
etc
and
2) maintanance and upkeep etc.

I have about 200 glider hours total, most of it in a Russia AC-4 after
initial training and flying in Schweizers. I love the look of the
Kestrel and like the specifications. I have flown a Lark with flaps and
decided I would like my next ship to have them, hence my interest in the
Kestrel! How is this ship to assemble? I know its going to be a lot
more hassle than my Russia - does it have automatic control hookups?

I am also interested to hear if their are any maintenance issues owners
may have come across since I gather Slingsby is no longer in business.
Are parts available? Can parts be acquired from Glasflugel?

Any comments much apprecaited, either to the newsgroup or by email to me
at

thanks

Bill Jackson

Does anyone reading this post know where I can get a forward canopy section for my Kestrel in the USA?

Mike B