Old October 21st 11, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bish

Default DG "service contract" revisited

On 21 oct, 09:48, ContestID67 wrote:
I live in fear that one day I will need some semi-trivial inexpensive
part (i.e. springs in the airbrakes) for my glider and have to pay the
"DG-ransom" to obtain said part, back dated to time immemorial.

On top of that my glider has a Standard Airworthiness Certificate
(rather than Experimental*) which limits what I can do to replace that
semi-trivial inexpensive part. *Any thoughts on conversion from
Standard to Experimental? *Does that help me in any way? *Or is there
a downside such as lowering the resale value?

Thanks, John

* I own a DG-101G ELAN. *If you look athttp://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/AcftRef_Results.aspx?Mfrtxt=&...
you will find that it is about 50/50 if any particular DG-10X is
Standard or Experimental certified. *Was it common practice back in
the 80's to pick/choose Standard versus Experimental? *What was the
rational when choosing one over the other? * It seems that many/most
newer gliders are Experimental. *So I ask again, would it help me to
reclassify my ship as Experimental? *If so, how complicated is it to
make the change?

Last year I needed 2 part that cost 45 euros. They charge me 100
euros s/h and 245 euros for the annual contract.
400 euros for 2 rubber tube for my landing gear.
S6