Old October 21st 11, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default DG "service contract" revisited

John,

Going from Standard to Experimental for my old ASW-19 was very simple.
I needed to fill out an 8130-6 form, write a program letter, and then
have the FSDO rep check the actual airframe for serial number match
and display of the Experimental placard. It did not affect the resale
value in the slightest. The ease of the process might depend on your
FSDO, though.

As Dan said above, having an Experimental airworthiness allows us to
do more with our aircraft. That's why my LS8 is Experimental, even
though it's eligible to be Standard.

-John

On Oct 21, 9:48 am, ContestID67 wrote:
I live in fear that one day I will need some semi-trivial inexpensive
part (i.e. springs in the airbrakes) for my glider and have to pay the
"DG-ransom" to obtain said part, back dated to time immemorial.

On top of that my glider has a Standard Airworthiness Certificate
(rather than Experimental*) which limits what I can do to replace that
semi-trivial inexpensive part. Any thoughts on conversion from
Standard to Experimental? Does that help me in any way? Or is there
a downside such as lowering the resale value?

Thanks, John