Old July 16th 18, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Which ClearNav vario display?

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 7:21:12 PM UTC-7, OHM Ω http://aviation..derosaweb.net wrote:
I have the full CN2 display and the square LCD CN vario. I originally had the round CN Vario. Reason to get the LCD CN vario? I wanted the thermal assistant! The thermal assistant 3D view is great stuff (not that I seem to stay up dramatically longer). HOWEVER, cost can be an issue. I assume it is still the case that you have to pay an extra $600(!) for the XC license just to get the thermal assistant. This is over and above the vario's base price of $1950. I get that the XC license adds navigation/task functionality plus IGC certification. But I don't need those as I have the full CN2 display plus a Nano 3 as back up. To me $600 seems a bit pricey just to get the thermal assistant. My $0.02. Thanks John OHM Ω

PS - Rex - Any update on new CN2 software? Thanks.

There is a practical reason for having both: if the main LCD fails you have a working backup (please spare me the probability that the LCD will fail).

Tom