Old June 18th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Default Emergency Landing-Engine DEAD

Darkwing wrote:

From: Dudley Henriques

I hate to second guess another pilot who was there and actually had the
accident, but depending on where he was when he lost the engine, my
initial question would be why he crashed at all having a 2000 foot grass
strip to land on. I'm puzzled. If he had any time at all to plan a dead
engine approach into such a strip, he should have made it in there with
no issues at all with a Bo.

Well, throwing another WAG into the mix..............
The guy may have been nervous about a 2000' grass strip and just
flown the approach as a poor short/soft field landing. I'm amazed,
nowadays,
at the number of pilots who have never landed on a grass strip.
He may have tried waaaay to hard to put it down on the end of the
strip...and
came up short.

Where I rent we have to sign a release saying that we will not land on any
grass strips, the only time I even landed on a grass strip was in a
neighbors Decathlon when I was just a kid.

What a shame. They can be a lot of fun.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP