Old April 10th 04, 12:19 AM
SeeAndAvoid

Alot of how it goes depends on the recent trends, are they getting in,
where are they cancelling, or are they cancelling after landing.
If they arent breaking out until 1,000' below our MIA (Minimum
IFR Altitude, similar to MVA, but not MSA), it's kind of pointless
to bother with a Visual.
If someone wants to try anyway, and if there's not a line of others
behind them, I'll let them try. But if they get right up on the airport
and then decide they want that ILS I suggested after all, it's the back
of the line.
Visuals are great, but make sure you can maintain visual with
the airport.
Chris

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote in message
A while back, I was with an experienced pilot, IMC, descending to land
at my home airport. The airport is not in an environment where ATC will
give vectors to final. As we approached, ATC asked which approach we
wanted. He said that he was "going for the visual." The ceilings were
right at the Minimum Safe altitude (MSA)--3000. I think ATC said that we
could descend to 3000 and report airport in sight.

Is this request of "going for the visual" usual?

Is it the norm if ceilings are above MSA?

-Sami
N2057M, Piper Turbo Arrow III