Old March 12th 19, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default Cobra Trailer Emergency Brake Experience

On 3/12/2019 6:51 AM, Stephen Struthers wrote:
I have towed large and heavy trailer combinations all over the UK since
the age of 17 (40 years now) and not once have I had a brake issue or for that
matter a tyre issue. We don't use chains and to be honest I not sure I
would want them as the swing of a trailer having "broken away" would likely
cause the towing vehicle to have its own accident. That I would rather
avoid. Out of interest how many of you have had a trailer break away from
the tow vehicle and what was the cause?

"Ditto"...except: 1) I'm up to 51 years after beginning at age 18, 2) in the
USofA, and 3) I use chains 'religiously.'

Having done the bulk of my towing with a relatively lightweight vehicle (2600
lbs), I've long 'intellectually worried' what might happen in the wake of a
trailer becoming disconnected from the towball, but - to date - haven't
crossed the chasm from imagination to reality...and hope I never do,
regardless of the weight of the tow vehicle!

The closest call of which I'm aware was the time my wife requested I
reposition her side-by-side two-donkey-/axle-trailer after she'd unloaded at a
parade marshaling site. Despite reaching the driver's seat by approaching the
combo from the rear, I failed to even glance at the tow connection...which
she'd disconnected for some never-quite-understood-by-me reason. Upon feeling
an unexpected minor thump while letting out the clutch, I listened to 'that
little voice in my skull,' hopped out to inspect the connection, and learned
chains were about to become my friend. (I *did* lose a 'safety bolt' one time
while towing, but the latch continued to function...and, yes, the bolt
disappeared because I failed to properly snug the 'self-locking' nut I was
using at the threaded end.)

I suspect - but likely will never know for certain - that the vast majority of
'trailer came loose!' events are like the vast majority of aviation
events/accidents, in that (IMO) most are directly attributable to 'pilot
error' of some flavor or other.

Paranoia can be your friend, although - as always - YMMV.

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com