Old March 13th 19, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cobra Trailer Emergency Brake Experience

Il giorno martedì 12 marzo 2019 09:36:01 UTC+1, Tango Whisky ha scritto:

You seem to confuse Europe with Germany. Speed limit in France is 130 kph, in Italy it's 120 kph. I usually set my speed control at 120.

This is incorrect.
The speed limits in France have been substantially modified in 2018.
The speed limit while towing a trailer in Italy have always been: 80 km/h on Highway, 70 km/h on other roads. In practice, the same as for heavy articulated lorries.
Italy is leading in Europe when it comes to speed cameras. Your average speed can be monitored over dozens or hundreds of kms.

Some more information regarding Italy:
.. fines are doubled when towing (including points penalties on driver's license)
.. +5 km/h tolerance always applies to any speed limit (or 5% whichever highest).
.. fines are bearable for up to "+10 km/h measured speed" VS "limit+tolerance"

in practice, most truck drivers set their cruise controls at 84 km/h GPS (no fine), or 94 km/h (relatively small fine). If you exceed 94, you're testing your luck or don't need your driver's license for your job: in this case, you may as well drive at 124 km/h as the fines and points cuts are just the same (as for 96 km/h).

If you receive a fine from the Italian authorities, make sure you understand all that's written in our language, not only the brief and inaccurate translation. Failing to notify the name and driver's license Number brings much heavier fines and legal costs.

In distant days I remember having towed my DG600 on the highway in the Appennines' bendy road at above 150 km/h with a 1600cc 115HP car. I'm old.

Aldo Cernezzi
www.voloavela.it