Old July 26th 03, 02:41 AM
Fred J. McCall

David Evans wrote:

:A fine example of this is the US spy planes which persistently defile
:Chinese air space.

They don't enter Chinese airspace.

:The Chinese claim their air space extends 20 miles
:from its coast, like its territorial waters. The US claim that
:airspace extends just 10 miles from shore under international law - a
:law the Chinese have never accepted.

The preceding is irrelevant, since our 'spy planes' don't get that
close to the coast.

:Pedants note: the 10 and 20 mile limits are from memory, and actual
:distances may be different. The concept of this post is true.

Now let's inject a little truth, shall we? What China was and is
claiming is the right to control air and sea traffic in what is known
as the Exclusive Economic Zone. Note that the very treaty which
establishes such a zone requires the State whose Exclusive Economic
Zone an area is to RESPECT THE RIGHT OF OTHER STATES TO FREE
NAVIGATION.

China was wrong. Read something other than the People's Daily.

--
"It's always different. It's always complex. But at some point,
somebody has to draw the line. And that somebody is always me....