Old November 15th 20, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

Default New Google Groups format

On Saturday, November 14, 2020 at 6:02:34 PM UTC-5, Moshe Braner wrote:
On Saturday, November 14, 2020 at 5:33:36 PM UTC-5, Moshe Braner wrote:
I now registered with eternal-september, installed Thunderbird on my PC, configured it to connect to that server, and it works. Thanks! Only works for Usenet groups though, not true Google Groups such as our club forum.

To make it work in Thunderbird, I gave it this server name: "news.eternal-september.org", and then in the Server Settings, need to check "always request authentication when connecting to this server". The first time you connect, Thunderbird will ask you for the username (that you chose in eternal-september), and the password (that it emailed after registration). After that Thunderbird will remember those and login for you silently.

All the newsgroup messages appear in Thunderbird in a monospaced font. I know this server (eternal-september) only sends plain text contents, but can I ask Thunderbird to show it in a more readable proportional font?

- found it: in the Tools / Options / General look for Fonts and Colors, click Advanced, and uncheck "use fixed width font for plain text".

And making messages from the crazy Canadian invisible is a snap!