Old January 26th 04, 12:56 AM
Andrew MacPherson

In article ,
(Ludlow Johnson) wrote:

Are the integrated grapics being ofered on these new machine
sufficient to run flight sim programs

While integrated graphics are better than they used to be, you
should certainly not rely on them to be able to run anything
but the simplest of recent games & sims without making serious
compromises.

If i buy a card, do i need to concern
myself with the latest issue of direct x

It's usually a good idea to keep fairly up to date with dx.
The whole point of dx is to allow sims to send simple
instructions to the card so it can do increasingly complex
things in purpose-built hardware. So a new card will come with
its own drivers (usually best to visit the manufacturer's
website and use the latest drivers instead of those supplied)
which will make use of a fairly recent, if not exactly up to
date, version of dx.

While there are no flight sims used directly in the following
link, it's a useful site to get an idea about how recent
hardware performs. Not sure it has any integrated chipsets on
the list though... I think the Nvidia mx440 is quite common
onboard, but that's getting a bit long in the tooth now,
especially for something like FS2004.

Anyway...
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...229/index.html
....may be some use to you. Or it might just confuse you even
more than I've done :-) But you need to get up to speed a
little before parting with your money, and that's as good a
place to start as any.

Ah, just put integrated graphics into Google and the first few
links are more direct help to you. So try a few of these...
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...t&ie=UTF-8&oe=
UTF-8&q=integrated+graphics

Andrew McP