Old August 31st 03, 04:16 PM
JerryK

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 02:33:00 +0000, Paul Tomblin wrote:

David Megginson and I were discussing the avionics the other day, and we
had a very strange thought.

We know that radios can be pulled out and swapped, usually with a single
screw. Would it be possible to buy a single approach certified GPS, like
a Garmin 530 or something, and put trays in multiple planes, so you could
get the installation certified in each plane, and share the GPS between
the planes?

Interesting question. I suspect it might work, but I sure would not want
to share my 530 with someone else. You would have to go through the setup
pages each swap to ensure you are feeding and receiving data in the
correct formats. Also, there is the question of wear and tear with all
that swapping.

jerry