Old December 24th 05, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,sci.electronics.design,alt.solar.photovoltaic

Default Wind/Solar Electrics ???

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:46:49 GMT, the renowned "daestrom"
wrote:

wrote in message
Joel Kolstad wrote:

(I can't tell you how many times I've seen people stating something
like,
'The Nyquist theorem requires sampling at at least twice the highest
frequency present in the signal," when of course it says no such thing.)

What do you think it means?

Nyquist figured out that higher frequency components of the input signal
will 'alias' and you will lose the ability to tell them from lower
frequency
components. In order to avoid 'losing information' and not being able to
tell whether a particular sample stream was from a low or high frequency
component, Nyquist's theorem states you must sample at least twice as fast
as the highest component present.

snip

More than twice the bandwidth.

So, if I have a signal with a 1000 hz carrier, with a bandwidth of 50 hz,
you think I can sample it at just 150 hz and get accurate reproduction?
That's just wrong.

It is the maximum frequency component in the signal that is important. The
bandwidth is not related unless the lower edge of the band is at 0 hz
(whereupon the upper side of the band is equal to the max frequency).

daestrom