View Single Post
Old June 17th 15, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default ANPRM - removal of transponder exception for gliders

I just can't get out of my mind the camel that got his nose under the
tent...

Once the transponder requirement is lifted, how long before ADS-B
becomes required above 10,000'? That's 4,000' AGL maximum where I fly.
What about TCAS, etc.? Forget batteries, I'm looking for a 300-mile
long carbon nanotube reinforced extension cord so I can keep my
batteries up. Either that or dilithium crystals...

And BTW, with the extra weight and drag of the extension cord, how will
that affect my lift/drag ratio and vector triangle?

On 6/17/2015 6:37 AM, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 1:31:10 AM UTC-5, jfitch wrote:
I should have said ADS-B compliant transponders. No one has (to my knowledge) and ADS-B complete installation in a glider. But the Mode S transponders commonly installed in gliders all have the "capability" if connected to a compliant GPS, or were at least sold as such. Currently I am told that the compliant GPS costs far more than the transponder.

We have seen what cheap, non-certified equipment in this arena costs: the unregulated PowerFlarm transponder is around $2K once installed. Hard to see how a regulated transponder of any sort will be less. Is TABS intended to be a whole new class of equipment, replacing a transponder, or are those of us who fly near busy commercial space (such as RNO which started the whole thing) going to end up having to have both? Again, my glider and most of the privates flying around RNO lack only a cable (and regulatory approval) to make the promise of TABS a reality tomorrow.

To my read, and admittedly, it is not as complete as it should be yet, is that TABS is not in addition to a transponder or ADS-B, but in place of it. However, it will NOT allow you access to airspace that currently requires a transponder. It will be there as a beacon to TCAS and other systems onboard the properly equipped airplanes (TCAS I, II, TAWS, etc). In reading the "high level" descriptions, I am not even sure it will talk to ground based radar. It also sounds like it does nothing to inform you of other TABS equipped airplanes.

What you have is not the promise of TABS, but of ADS-B Out (Mode S Transponder plus GPS input for position). TABS is going to be far less than what you will have. But probably will cost far more than what you have paid so far. Time will tell on the cost.

Steve Leonard

--
Dan Marotta