Old August 27th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default Crashing on takeoff... how odd

Michelle P wrote:
Emily wrote:
Bob Moore wrote:

Ramapriya wrote:

I remember a recent discussion with a pilot mate where I was mentioning
how illogical a crash-shortly-after-takeoff is, given that beyond V1
takeoff can safely be continued even with just one good engine. I'd
even told him that if I saw an aircraft airborne following takeoff, I'd
presume it safe.

Considering all factors, the takeoff is far more hazardous than the
approach and landing.

Bob Moore

So explain how more crashes happen on landing than takeoff? Landing
is the more hazardous of the two.

Taking off You are trying to put energy into the airplane instead of
take it out. If something goes wrong while putting the energy into the
aircraft you have less to work with with there is a problem. Altitude is
energy from a strictly physics perspective.

Why do more crashes happen on landing.... You usually already have a
problem and are trying to get on the ground.

Michelle P

Actually, from the safety classes I've taken, already having a problem
doesn't have a thing to do with it.