Old March 18th 04, 11:22 AM
Matthew S. Whiting

Chip Jones wrote:
"Matthew S. Whiting" wrote in message
[snipped]

I'm not a controller and haven't visited an ATC facility in probably 20
years. I didn't assume that manual flight strips were still in use, but
knowing the gummint I should have figured that would still be the case.

Strips are far far far far far superior to *ANY* automated data for
reliability in my opinion. They don't break, they aren't broken, and they
don't need to be replaced. Like paper cheques, strips aren't obsolete.

Paper cheques are rapidly becoming obsolete. Credit and Debit cards
have already overtaken checks based on some stats I saw just a few weeks
ago and the rate of change is pretty high with checks dropping rapidly.
Another 10-20 years and checks will be all but gone.

Paper strips are only as reliable as the computer and printer that print
them ...
which are automated systems already.

It sounded from earlier responses you made that
NOTHING was done at the termination of an IFR flight. It is clear that
something is done, and that something is discarding the strip. Works
for me. It was the thought that no action was taken that had me
concerned.

I see. You were under the impression that strips were retained forever,
eventually filling the facility and requiring construction of another.

No, see above. I assumed that technology had progressed at least a tiny
bit since I visited a tower in the late 70s. Obviously, a poor

assumption.

Technology for technology's sake isn't always progress IMO. Especially not
in the air safety business.

Never suggested technology for technology's sake. Do you consider all
of the automation that has already happened in avionics and ATC to be
technology for technology's sake?

Matt