Old December 24th 17, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Wind Gradient

On Saturday, December 23, 2017 at 9:08:37 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Yes.Â* It's not very impressive.Â* However I did have one exciting time
when it became clear that I could not stay under 18,000' without taking
extreme measures.Â* I was already cruising at about 120 KIAS and still
going up so I turned down wind to get to the sink.Â* I found my ground
speed was up to 223 knots!Â* As soon as I felt sink, I started to turn
around but, by the time I got back into the wave, I had lost over 4,000
feet.

On 12/23/2017 6:17 PM, AS wrote:
On Saturday, December 23, 2017 at 7:56:36 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Sixty-two knots on downwind, 23 knots at the surface.Â* I started my base
turn while the intended touchdown point was still in front of me and it
worked out just right.

I learned that my ClearNav gets confused when presented with a 2 kt
ground speed.Â* A very interesting day over all.
--
Dan, 5J

---

Did you post the flight on OLC?
Uli
'AS'

--
Dan, 5J

Wow - you were cooking! At one point, your ground-speed was 387km/h or 240.5mph!
Uli
'AS'