Old September 2nd 14, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bug Dout

Default UPDATE: FAA says homebuilders have to build the components of their projects off-airport

There was a great outcry about the FAA's position on the Vans Air Force
forum, as you can imagine. I took the minority view that the rule
clarification to prohibit building (and all non-aviation activities) was
a Good Thing. Of course the VAF'ers don't take well to thinking outside
the narrow box they are in. Somewhere I read a good explanation of the
clarification: if an activity can be done off-airport, it should be done
there. But if the activity can ONLY be done on-airport (like an actively
flying aircraft, or fixing/assembling one so it is flying), then those
should be in hangars.

As someone who was on a waiting list at one airport for years, and
seeing hangars "sub-let" to personal buddies and the wait-list never
advance, and seeing maintenance "projects" drag on for years with no
flying aircraft in hangars, I'm all for this FAA clarification. If
someone wants to build long-term, and doesn't have a garage, there's a
business opportunity: make a few storage units with heat, A/C,
electricity, and a nearby toilet for building projects of any kind. I
think there would be demand for this.

As for the FAA enforcing this, no. It simply gives the airport operator
the means to enforce it. And, it gives the airplane owner with no hangar
access the means to compel the airport operator to enforce this.

Larry Dighera writes:

Commemorative Air Force Fights Hangar Rule
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...il#222678T he
Commemorative Air Force is asking the FAA to extend the Sept. 5 comment
deadline on a proposed policy on "aeronautical uses" permitted in hangars on
federally funded airports. The CAF says its various museums and shops are all
in violation of the new rules and is asking the FAA to extend the comment
period so the agency can "delve deeper into the unintended consequences" of the
existing document.

--
The difference between our decadence and the Russians' is that while
theirs is brutal, ours is apathetic.

---