Old February 13th 04, 03:10 AM

On 9 Feb 2004 10:45:39 -0800, (Stanley) wrote:

My accountant aside, would someone comment specifically on their
experience in keeping a Duke "in the air" re "typical" maintanence
costs, operating costs and insurance requirements? Also, the comment
re declining Beech support - anyone else experienced this?

How much experience do you have with the care and feeding of a twin
turbo-supercharged piston-pounding pressurized deiced twin?

How many hours a year do you plan to fly?

How important are dispatchablility/downtime issues?

How much time have you spent either flying or maintaining a Duke?

How many owners have you contacted outside of the newsgroups?

How many service centers have you found with valid Duke experience,
let alone in your geographic area?

Any good shop will be more than willing to dig through their bills and
give you typical out-the-door costs for Duke 100hr/annuals. If they
can't, you DON'T want them maintaining your Duke.

The first exposure I had to a Duke was working a combustion heater
gripe on a transient aircraft back in the late 80's. Owner/pilot
operating on another's 135 ticket. Had operated the aircraft for 300
hours/18 months. Was absolutely tickled ****less that his last 100
hour had come in just over $10,000.

It is a complex aircraft that does not share many parts/systems with
other Beech aircraft. The engines/cylinders are a nightmare. No, I
have never owned one-I was just the poor ******* that had to call the
owners every other oil change to tell them they just bought a couple
of more cylinders.

You are aware that the engine series was used on three very limited
production aircraft 25 years ago. It might be easier to get a quote
for an engine overhaul than it was 10 years ago, but I somehow doubt
it.

Getting airframe parts will be an absolute nightmare.

If you are looking for a unique airplane to fly around in and you have
an unlimited budget, buy one.

If you need to count on it for "working" transportation, buy two.

An above-average maintenance facility will be required, and if they
have any sense, they won't want to deal with you. The aggravation vs.
profit quotient isn't a desirable one. If you've never experienced
"blank check" Raytheon Authorized Service Center maintenance before,
try it once, you're in for another rude awakening.

Last Duke owner I dealt with was a long-time aircraft owner. After
first having to inspect/repair the aircraft, and having to listen to
16 verses of the "you're screwing me on the bill" litany, I told him
in no uncertain terms that I had not bent him over a wing and
whispered in his ear.... "buy a Duke"

TC