Old September 26th 05, 10:47 PM

Philippe Vessaire wrote:
wrote:

It _is_ pretty impressive technology. Though the European-ness of it is
really isn't that big of a deal. All the car companies are pan-global
entities these days.

Diesel is still cheaper than jet fuel. Or isn't it?

Jet A1 is a little bit cheaper, but it need oil addition (2 strokes oil is
good but normal oil would be ok) for high pressure pump.

I've been too afraid to go to the pump the past few days :-) At current
prices biodiesel does become cost effective if one could find a suitable
anti-gel agent.

No anti-froze agent needed, just an fuel/water heat exchange and the whole
tank become warmer when the engine is runnig. For pure biodiesel, the car
choice is an exhaust/fuel heat exchange.

I just wait for a new design from daihatsu: a 2 cylinder, 2 strokes
superchared, turbocharged 85HP.
I'm waiting for weight info, the 2 strokes only may achieve same weight
than mogas engine.

By
--
Pub:
http://www.slowfood.fr/france

Have you heard of anyone cutting Jet A like your describing? I would
expect those engines are quite sensative. I'd be really nervous about
fuel/oil ratios doing that!

Interesting thought on plumbing the coolant to the fuel tanks. Have you
heard of anybody doing this on an aircraft? (I know the car guys do it
all the time) That might make aircraft designed with header tanks more
appropriate for diesels. (Easier to build the heat sink)

It might even be possible to just ignore the radiator completely and
turn the skin of the aircraft into the heat sink. Basically you'd route
several flows of 3/8" aluminum tubing strategically about the airplane.
You could end up with a deicing system instead of a radiator! It would
probably take more line/water than was in the radiator, but it might
make up for it in aerodynamics. (No radiator hanging in the breeze) I'd
have to crunch the numbers, it probably isn't feasable, but it's a
thought.=20

-Matt