Old February 22nd 04, 02:44 PM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 01:11:24 -0800, eXistenZ
wrote:

To The Nearest Tenth of a Mile, What is the Maximum Range of a AIM-54A
Phoenix Air to Air Missile?

Oh please....the answer is obviously classified. It's also variable,
depending on a number of environmental factors.

most military websites claim 100 Nautical miles
while other sites say 110 nautical miles,.
but my friend here claims it is over 200 Nautical miles

All three figures are pure fiction.

The 110 mile figure comes from a missile test many years ago. The
Phoenix was launched when the target was 110 miles away. But since
the target was flying *towards* the missile at considerable speed, the
actual distance covered by the missile was much less - closer to 70
miles. That's the actual maximum range of the missile.

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,